Thursday, September 3, 2009

Left-Over Broccoli Salad


So, I know a major hurdle for some people who live alone to get over is the one of cooking for themselves.  It seems easier to get carry-out or skip an actual meal all together, and just forage around the pantry for snacks.  The concept of "cook once, eat twice" is a great one for the single cooks, as well as for anyone looking for ways to use their time more efficiently, while eating healthy home-cooked food.

Last night I lightly steamed some broccoli for dinner and topped it with a drizzle of olive oil, some lemon juice, garlic, pepper and salt.  I made sure to not over cook the broccoli, since I wanted to preserve its nutrients and texture. 

For lunch today, I did the deer-in-the-headlights stare into the refrigerator trying to figure out what to feed myself and decided to try the broccoli again.  Rather than simply heating it up, I cut up several whole pieces of broccoli (stalks and florets), topped them with a whole tomato compliments of our neighbor, Franco, a banana pepper from my own garden and a little purple onion.  I dressed this salad with a little olive oil, some grey sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  It was a great, light and refreshing salad full of nutrients and energy.

I recommend using any left over chilled green vegetable as the base for a salad like this.  Top it with whatever fresh vegetables you might happen to have on hand and even a little cheese (like feta), and dress it with a little olive oil and maybe some lemon juice or a nice vinegar.  Healthy cooking does not have to be expensive OR elaborate.  Often, the healthiest foods are the simplest ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment