Friday, October 9, 2009

Harvest Orange Pops (or Smoothie)


I've been experimenting with ways to incorporate more vegetables into one's diet - especially the diets of the more "unwilling" (ie:  kids or anyone you would consider a picky eater).  Pureeing vegetables is a great way to do this.  I came up with the idea for these popsicles for this October series when I was thinking about sweet vegetables and how these are among the easiest to get into all kinds of other foods.  These popsicles are great for a halloween party because of the great deep orange color, which they owe to the pureed carrots, contributing lots of Vitamin A and beta carotene.  They are also a good source of potassium and Vitamin C and happen to taste great!  While I don't know that I would take the time to make myself the popsicle version of this, the smoothie will definitely be added to my repertoire.   The smoothie would be good to serve as a healthy kids' party drink, in little clear plastic cups.

The following recipe makes 4 mini pops (using the little bathroom-size paper cups) or one serving of smoothie.  I don't recommend using straws, like I did, as popsicle sticks since the popsicle tends to slide down the straw while attempting to eat.  A better option would be an actual wooden popsicle stick.

Ingredients:
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
  • 2 large carrots, steamed then cooled
  • 3/4 cup natural unsweetened orange juice
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in blender.  Puree until very smooth.  Enjoy as a smoothie or pour into 4 small paper cups and insert popsicle sticks.  Freeze until firm.  Remove paper.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment